In the end, it was a pretty cheap and quick fix for our ugly fireplace surround so this is one happy girl! :)
Of course, I hopped on Pinterest to find some great examples of what to do! There were a few, but not many. So, I decided to wing it a little.
Here's what I did...
First, I gathered a few different colors of paints: Dark grey, light grey, off white, and black. All of these colors have been used in our house in various places, so I already had them.
I cleaned the tile really well with Dawn dish soap water and a scrubby pad. I grabbed some sandpaper and did a little bit of sanding. Not too much because our tile already had a somewhat rough texture. Then, of course, I wiped it down again with a wet rag.
Then, I got to the painting! I wanted the tiles to mostly be a dark grey color so that it stuck out a little from our light grey walls but would still blend nicely. So, I painted two base coats of solid dark grey and let it dry.
I first did the white, dipping the pad into the paint and then blotting it out onto a piece of plastic until it would just put a thin amount on to the tile.
I worked on each tile separately, and was sure to not follow any kind of pattern. Some tiles got a lot of white and others got just a little bit. This way, they look more like real tiles!
First I put on the white and let it dry. Then, the black. Then, the light grey.
So, I worked quickly to get it done!
I used the same "blotting" technique to put a final coat of the same dark grey "base color" on the top. This is what really made it look nice and all pulled together!
Before I got this part done, the kids scratched the paint right off one of the tiles. So, I fixed it and only waited 24 hours from that point to apply the poly to the whole thing. That one tile peeled right up where I had painted the day before. I didn't have any problems at all with the other tiles! So, I would recommend at least 72 hours before applying poly and just try to keep the kids away! :) Once the poly seals it in, though, it should hold up nicely!
I haven't had any more problems with scratches since I sealed it in, but I would like to apply 3 good coats of poly just to be sure. ;)
And now, we have a nice little fireplace that fits in perfectly! Until we can get to our "someday" plans for it... :)
Here it is!